Psychobilly

The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Psychobilly

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 pm

The more I listen to psychobilly, the more I fall in love with it. My favourites include Reverend Horton Heat and The Meteors. I've just come back from a punk all-dayer and one of my favourite local bands called Shakeout were playing. I asked them if they had any CDs for sale and rich the double bassist just gave me one for free. Top blokes!

Here's a few videos for you:

MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Re: Psychobilly

Post by MidlandsDan on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 pm

When I was going through some big changes in the first half of this year, I needed something different, and psychobilly provided that, albeit for a very short period of time.

I really like the Nekromantix, find it a bit monotonous on the whole to be honest though.

Reverend Horton Heat is great, a talented musician and great sense of humour. Love that song about his girl taking all his stuff when she splits but 'It's OK, cos I got the Galaxy 500...she probably would have took that too...but it's not air conditioned, no its not air conditioned.'

If memory serves, the only psychobilly band I have seen live is Mad Sin...here is a vid I think you will really enjoy Fletch..all you Bob Marley fans should check it too:

I don't think that vid has them shooting sparks out of the double bass, I've seen that before and it was nice.
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Also Fletch you should get on down to this if you can make it:

http://www.bedlambreakout.com/
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:45 pm

After seeing The Peacocks a couple of years back I bought a few CDs, mainly Hellcat stuff like Nekromantix and HorrorPops, and I was kinda underwhelmed. I think it's something that's better live, especially with a sick bassist. Over-the-head bass solos a must!
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:27 am

Yeah I agree with bass solos. I love the slap!

Dan, I thought you were talking about "Where in the hell did you go with my toothbrush" at first but I don't think a galaxy was mentioned in that.

I like the horror side of things. That's why I like the Meteors with songs such as "The Hills Have Eyes", all about the film.

Shakeout are playing Bedlam Breakout, I remember being given the flyer. If you're going Dan you should check them out and mention that Fletch recommended you. The Hyperjax are good too but Sam the frontman is a cock.
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Well I'm not planning to go but if I'm off work then I might pop down depending who else is going.

You want me to punch this Sam geezer?

Ha, ha.
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:32 pm

One of my Dad's mates we were with at Rebellion is a promoter who's good mates with him and when I mentioned that Sam from Hyperjax didn't talk to me once throughout my gig he got him on the phone. He didn't have a clue who I was.
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I got into Psychobilly basically cos it was a genre related to punk I hadn't explored yet. I got a load of the Stomping At The Klbu Foot compilations and it's amazing how many bands were around at the time that just completely slipped under the music radar. For me, The Meteors are THE psychobilly band I love their sound, and that's what I prefer in Psychobilly just punkier, gothicy rockabilly. Not a fan of the mental sounding bands like Mad Sin, see. However after listening to a lot of the early UK stuff it just tends to be the sameish sound or Elvis covers spend up which is why I love the new wave in the U.S. on Hellcat because it has variation despite the fact the old school psychobillys probably loathe it. If I ever formed a Psychobilly band it'd be Johnny Skull & The ScissorMen. What I like about Psychobilly is it's just fun and differant and you shouldn't take it too seriously (though people invariably do) and it's just a bizarre little harmless genre.

And that's my little mini-essay over with 10/10 A+.
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:03 pm

I partially concur.

By the way are you wearing a Skindred wristband in your av?
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 pm

manly moustache monday was born at a tiger army gig, thats all i have to say on psychobilly

(i wanted a nude day instead)
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Plus the psychobilly fashion is cool as fuck. Especially women's fashion.

I was watching psychobilly stuff on youtube and came across the Horror Pops. Awful band.
    the dogster
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by the dogster on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 pm

The only psychobilly band i love is Swiss band The Peacocks. They have put out several ace albums & mixed in quite a bit of ska in their sound on their first couple of releases. Amazing live band too, saw them at the Camden Underworld a few years ago & they were fab!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCM-vXkXI8Y
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 pm

That song isn't really my favourite. I like the one called 'Don't Ask the Kids' but I do sway more towards punk.
    the dogster
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by the dogster on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:07 pm

The Amazing Fletch wrote:That song isn't really my favourite. I like the one called 'Don't Ask the Kids' but I do sway more towards punk.

it isn't my favourite either, just the only video of theirs i could find. My favourites are "In Any Case" from their first album & "Too Good" from their "It's Time For" album
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:35 pm

@Midland Dan:

Yes indeed that is a Skindred sweatband in my uber-cool-Joe-Strummer-style-profile pic.

I do like the Peacocks I've got an album they seem more just good rockabilly than proper Psychobilly, I suppose the pureists would argue you've got to only sing about ghosts, graveyards, zombies, werevolves etc. to be Psychobilly. And the real purists will tell you Only The Meteors Are Pure Psychobilly. Which is midely elistist.
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:17 am

Yeah I've got one of those sweatbands too. Sound.

As for that Meteors saying, I don't think its elitist...just having a bit of a laugh really I reckon.
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:53 am

Admit it. You just aren't as 'billy as everyone else.
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Well in school days if you called someone a 'psychobilly' round here, you would have been implying that they were a friendless serial killer.
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:36 pm

I think Psychobilly can be quite elistist, but only no more than any other genre I suppose. I mean, there's your Psychobillys that consider The Meteors the only actual Psychobilly band, and then there's your Psychobillys who only listen to King Kurt, Guana Batz, Demtened Are Go, Frantic Flinstones etc. and anything beyond the mid-80s is out of bounds so don't even mention U.S. or modern Psychobilly. Then even if you do like modern Psychobilly, Tiger Army are suddenly traitors for releasing a few songs NOT about ghosts. Psychobilly does have a VERY specific style, there's a very specific way of dressing, songs have to be about specific topics, need a double bass etc. But I suppose it's the same for skinheads from the 80s who don't want to hear anything post-1982 and if it's American forget about it.

Another thing that annoys me about Psychobillys is the way they dance. Wrecking. It's just punching the air and expecting someone to be there. OK, fine, do it for Psychobilly music but I've been to punk and ska gigs where they just throw their weight around!

But, on the other hand, a god Psychobilly song is very, very fun

Everyone go check out a Leeds band called ACES & EIGHTS they got my into Psychobilly and they're spot-on.
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 pm

I've heard them on myspace. Pretty good.
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 am

Mod Henry wrote:I think Psychobilly can be quite elistist, but only no more than any other genre I suppose. I mean, there's your Psychobillys that consider The Meteors the only actual Psychobilly band, and then there's your Psychobillys who only listen to King Kurt, Guana Batz, Demtened Are Go, Frantic Flinstones etc. and anything beyond the mid-80s is out of bounds so don't even mention U.S. or modern Psychobilly. Then even if you do like modern Psychobilly, Tiger Army are suddenly traitors for releasing a few songs NOT about ghosts. Psychobilly does have a VERY specific style, there's a very specific way of dressing, songs have to be about specific topics, need a double bass etc. But I suppose it's the same for skinheads from the 80s who don't want to hear anything post-1982 and if it's American forget about it.

Another thing that annoys me about Psychobillys is the way they dance. Wrecking. It's just punching the air and expecting someone to be there. OK, fine, do it for Psychobilly music but I've been to punk and ska gigs where they just throw their weight around!

But, on the other hand, a god Psychobilly song is very, very fun

Everyone go check out a Leeds band called ACES & EIGHTS they got my into Psychobilly and they're spot-on.

Hahaha yeah. I remember an old skinhead going mental at me and telling me to 'fuck off with your American ska shit!' (he really thought ska was some new American thing...)

And if you think wrecking is bad...what about so called 'hardcore dancing'? Fuck me running whats that about?
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:54 am

Mod Henry wrote:But, on the other hand, a god Psychobilly song is very, very fun.

Hmmm would that be acceptable in church..... I guess you could consider the christian god a ghost? Spirit and ghost have a similar meaning right? When ment in the same context, obviously you wouldn't say this festival has a good ghost rather than spirit, that'd be odd... oh i ruined this post.
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Ironically although this was a spelling mistake, I recently wrote a poem in which I created the pantheon of my Musical Gods, such as Punk, God of Spikes and the Modfather, God of Cool and Style. King Psychobilly was a mysterious God of Lunar Moons and Creeping. The poem recording should be on my myspace soon Smile
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Yeah whats your myspace though mate?

Add me on facebook if you got it facebook.com/bloodsweatandnotears

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content