Keyboard

The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Keyboard

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:28 pm

So we've got a keyboard and a guitar up here. I think I'd do better at pushing buttons than plucking strings so I've decided to give the keyboard a go for the next three months. Does anyone have any tips or know of any good books that I should get to help me get started? I don't expect to be brilliant after three months, or even that confident really, but I thought it would help pass the time.
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Re: Keyboard

Post by iamemmao on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm

My best mate plays the piano (it takes up a load of bloody space in our living room!!), but she's thinking of teaching beginners, which I know isn't much good as your far far away, but I'll ask her about books and that for you when I speak to her next!

And if you decide to learn guitar, learn a few chords and have a bit of a play around with them, like make up your own little tunes and stuff... I think that's what I did when I was first learning to play Embarassed
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks, dude. I'd appreciate it if you'd ask her.
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 am

The white keys are normal notes, the black ones are sharps and flats. =D

Erm past that you'll be using three keys to form a chord and learning your way around a keyboard should help you to grasp some basics of musical theory that a guitar player such as myself might well take several years to bother learning
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:45 pm

i'd recommend getting yourself a book of scales. you can get the grade books, and if you get a high grade book it'll have all the scales in it!
    obviously scales will be useful if you wanna write music - learning about keys and chords etc - but they're also good for learning fingerwork and 2 hand co-ordination.
    Pam Wedgwood does some decent books for beginners too with some fun little pieces. I enjoyed working through "easy jazzin' about" when i was younger.
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:17 pm

i recommend finding a good song in the key of c and then just mashing the white keys along with it, it'll be pretty easy to make something sounding good just through trial and error

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 pm